A green copper carbonate hydroxide mineral Cu₂(CO)₃(OH)₂, and one of the first ores of copper. It’s deep green color does not fade in sunlight, and it’s softness made it a preferred pigment for thousands of years. It forms in shallow caverns in the oxidizing zone above copper deposits. It precipitates from descending solutions in fractures, caverns, cavities & the spaces in porous rocks. It often forms within limestone with associated minerals such as azurite, bornite, calcite, chalcopyrite, copper, cuprite & chrysocolla. Malachite typically forms as stalactites and botryoidal coatings on the surfaces of underground cavities. When these pieces are cut across, concentric banding can be seen that is similar to agate. It is usually opaque with a dull to earthy luster, but rarely can be found in crystalline form. The crystals are acicular to tabular in shape, bright green and translucent with a vitreous to adamantine luster. Because of Malachite’s high copper content, it is toxic to humans if ingested or inhaled in powder form. It shouldn’t get wet, as it could leach into the water &/or release a toxic gas. Most Malachite is polished and coated in wax or resin to reduce the risk of toxic contact with humans. Even so, we recommend that Malachite be kept away from children, and any jewelry be kept away from water. Never put Malachite in a crystal water infusion by direct method!
– Associated with the heart chakra, zodiac signs of Scorpio & Capricorn & vibrates to the number 9.
– Makes one invisible to negative energy projections from others & to negative entities.
– Brings to the forefront what is blocking our spiritual growth.
– Vibrates with unconditional love.
– Teaches how to take responsibility for our actions.
– Encourages risk-taking and change.
– Helps one balance their emotions to create harmony.
– Beneficial for healing from sexual assault and relationship abuse.
Hardness: 3.5-4 Mohs
Specific Gravity: 3.25-4.10
Refractive Index: 1.655-1.909